Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Fishing at Pawley's Island

Breakfast was cold cereal and yogurt from Kroger. Rex and I gathered our fishing gear into his Highlander and left Kingfisher Inn at 8:30

We got bait at Pawley’s Island Seafood Market. Rex remembered that we could get shrimp, squid and cut bait at the market. However, the market only sells shrimp for bait now. The young Russian man working the counter informed us that they only sell shrimp that didn’t sell or were dropped on the floor for the market. Rex bought three small packets of frozen shrimp.

Fishing at Pawleys Island

We drove through a residential area on Pawley’s Island passing people fishing from bridges and access points along the way. We parked at the Pawley's Island Parking Lot South where there was plenty of fishing access in the canal available portable toilets. As we were locating a place to fish and place our folding chairs, a man fishing nearby offered us his spot and gave us some advice on fishing the canal. He invited us to share a charter boat with him on Wednesday, but we were already making plans to drive back home by then. 

Red drum from Pawleys Island

Fishing wasn’t great in the canal but we hoped that things would change as we neared high tide at 11 am. Crabs stole our shrimp bait nearly as fast as we could replenish our hooks. We were nearly ready to give up around 11 am when I caught a small fish that we cut up and used as bait. A second small fish was used the same way. We seemed to be getting bites on the cut bait but were unable to catch anything. I started casting a gold colored spoon hoping that would avoid the crabs and possibly entice a larger fish to take the lure. Around noon, I had a strong strike and a good fight from a fish. My old spinning reel wasn’t working especially well so I was wondering if I could land the fish at all. I eventually caught the 25 inch red drum that was released as soon as I removed the lure. The fish would have been good to eat but we had dinner plans already and no feasible way to get the fish back home on Wednesday.

While we were out fishing, Mary and Natalie went back to Brookgreen Gardens to see some of the area that we missed on Sunday.  The day got hot so they didn't stay long but checked out some of the beach shops near the condo to get T-shirts for Rex and Natalie's grandkids.

Back at the Kingfisher Inn, Rex and I rinsed our fishing gear at the outdoor shower by the pool then showered and cleaned up at the room. We relaxed with Mary and Natalie before leaving for dinner. On our drives south, we had seen the Hanser House and checked the online reviews. We were satisfied with the strong positive ratings and made that our choice. Mary had made dinner reservations for us but was really no need since plenty of tables were available when we arrived a little after 6 pm. Like our other meals in the area, we avoided the big all-you-can-eat buffets in favor of small, locally owned restaurants with good food and service.

In the top bunk

My creole shrimp from Lee’s Inlet Kitchen was so good that Rex and I both had it this evening. Everyone was happy with the meal. When we returned to the condo, we went to one of the beach stands for after dinner drinks. Afterward, we changed at the room then took a two hour walk along the beach getting back to the condo in the dark at nearly 10 pm.

We packed a few things then headed for bed. Our bunk beds were very comfortable once we were in bed but I will not miss climbing up to the top bunk.


No comments:

Post a Comment